Parents should set and enforce rules for home Internet use
- Have computer in a common room
- Time limit on Internet, instant messaging, social networking sites, online gaming, etc.
- Parents should ask and know student’s personal username and password
- Have a curfew for computer use. Place the computer in a common area to charge overnight.
Suggestions concerning e-mail
- Parents should have access to students’ e-mail
- Threatening e-mail should never be sent
- Attachments bring danger of viruses
- Spam=Junk mail=Don’t reply
- Students can tie their Apple ID to the Messages app to send text messages
- Parents should monitor messages sent
Social networking sites
- Students will have access to social networking sites after school
- Parents should monitor their child’s activities on social networking sites and ensure that private data is not posted online.
General Internet Activity
- Never give out personal information, even seemingly innocent and unimportant info
- Never make online purchases without parent permission/supervision